Monday 18 July 2011

Battle of the Beauty Staples: Black Eyeliner.

The humble black eyeliner pencil, for somebody who doesn't wear it nearly enough, I appear to have acquired my fair share.

Like any good beauty blogger, my first thought when collecting them all together was to give them a good old test for you all...

Being put to the test:

MAC Feline Kohl Power RRP £13.00
Benefit BAD Gal Eyeliner RRP £14.00 
Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil in Zero RRP £13.00
Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Eye Liner Pencil RRP £3.10 


1. How Black Are They?

I'm almost certain that to many people black is black, but take a look and you'll see what I'm talking about...


(l-r Feline, BAD Gal, Zero & Rimmel Soft Kohl)



For intenstity of pigment, Feline has to win hands down, compared to the others it's transfers far more colour and is by far the most intense.

I'm a little disappointed with BAD Gal, it took more than a few swipes to even reach the watery swatch above.

The Urban Decay also looks a little watery, almost liquid like, I did dry to a more opaque finish though.

The Rimmel Kohl looks the most grey when applied to the hand, but must be said, is not far off BAD Gal.

2. On The Eyes...

MAC Feline Kohl Power


Benefit BAD Gal Liner


Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Liner


Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Zero

I'm again most impressed by the intensity of Feline by MAC, it blows the others away if you want a strong black liner look. The Urban Decay 24/7 Liner comes in with a softer intensity but still delivers on colour.

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with BAD Gal, it's a watery mess. It took me several applications even to achieve the weak colour in the water line...not impressed.

Rimmel doesn't fair much better, but considering the £10 price difference between it and the Benefit pencil, I'm not to unimpressed, I'd even say it performs better.

3. Smudge Test...


In the name of science, I left these on my hand to test how the wore all at the same time.

BAD Gal & Rimmel have faired much the same, they're a weak trace of what was their before...thumbs down.

This is where the Urban Decay 24/7 really comes into it's own, it still looks black and pigmented and has worn far better than Feline, which is still looking pretty good!

4. The Verdict.

My Overall Winner Is...

MAC FELINE KOHL POWER.

Now for the bad news...It's not available at the moment! It's Limited Edition MAC but It's been released in numerous collections so keep an eye out.

If you want something very similar NOW check out MAC Smoulder...

If I were you I'd stay away from BAD Gal, for the price it just doesn't cut the mustard, not even as a smudgy soft liner.

For the price, Rimmel stood up well to some of the higher end brands, if you want a softer pencil to smoke up under the lower lash line but are on a budget, give this a go.

Comment Question: Which one of these is your winner?

Laura xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...