Tuesday 10 August 2010

The Hype From The Outside

Have you ever lusted after a product so much you forget why you wanted to it so much in the first place, counted down the days until it's release based upon the excited chatter of your fellow bloggers?

I can certainly say I'm guilty as charged.

A big part of why I love the beauty community is getting recommendations and tips from my fellow beauty fanatics, but how easy is it to remove yourself from the hype and concentrate on the product itself??

Enter my lovely myth buster, Laura, who also doubles as my best pal...

I let her loose on five of my most hyped purchases and let her cast her outsider view, maybe all we need is a little perspective?!

I gave her:

Viva Glam Gaga
Illamasqua Rude Blush
Barry M Toffee Lipgloss
NARS Sheer Glow Foundation
MAC Stereo Rose MSF

First into the ring was Viva Glam Gaga



This is what she had to say:
" I like this, the texture is pretty nice but I'm not sure it's exactly flattering on me. I've got quite yellow skin so I'm not sure I'd ever wear it. I mean it's OK but I'm not sure it's a universal shade. I guess having Gaga attached to it raised it's game though!"

I asked her to rate it 1-5 from "So Overhyped" to "Get Me A Back Up!"

Laura rated this:

***
3 Stars

It's nice but it seems more about the Lady Gaga love!

Illamasqua Rude Blush was the next product to be cross examined.


What she said:

"I'm not really into cream blushes anyway but it feels quite smooth...(pops some onto her cheek) It's bright though! It does settle into quite a nice colour though but it doesn't exactly wow me, I'm not sure it's all that special and for the price I'd rather spend it on something else, I love the packaging though, very cute!"

Rated:
**
2 Stars

It's a nice product but I don't get why this is so sort after, sorry!



Things didn't get much better with the foundation of the moment, NARS Sheer Glow.

"It looks alright and it has a pretty illuminating finish and feels quite nice on my skin, how much is it?"
TBS "£29.00"
"Are you joking?! That seems pretty extortionate to me, I mean, really? It's just OK, If I had plenty of spare money I'd probably buy this but not at the expense of anything else, I'm using a foundation from L'Oreal at the moment and it works just as well for me!"

Purely for the price, Rated:
**
2 Stars!

I just couldn't justify this, It doesn't wow me.

Next up, is the much chatted about, Barry M Lipgloss in Toffee.



What she said:

"It smells delicious and feels really smooth, the texture is good, sticky lipgloss makes me heave! For under a fiver I don't think you could ask for anything more. I've had a quick look at the rest of the range too and they all seem to be ticking the boxes. I'd say this deserves all the hype but in my opinion so does the rest of the colour range! It leaves a lovely natural sheen for the daytime"

Rated:
ATLEAST
****
4 Stars.

Not OTT, the perfect day gloss!



Last, but not least is the most recent product to get thrown into the hype ring, MAC Stereo Rose.

This is what she had to say:

"Ooo I like the look of this one, it looks a bit like Ayers rock doesn't it?! I like the sparkle in it too. I think it looks lovely for a night out but maybe i'd apply this with a lighter hand!"
TBS "This sold out in a matter of days and people are paying silly money for it on Ebay, what do you think?"
"It's a lovely product, but that all seems a bit silly, I'm a bit confused over what's so special about it. I'm sure i've got something at home that could mimic this..."

Rated:
***
3 Stars.

Lovely product, still a bit confused over the Holy Grail though!



I asked Laura to pick her most rated and most disappointing products and she chose:

Illamasqua Cream Blush in Rude: Most Disappointing
Barry M Lipgloss in Toffee: Most Rated.

So there you have it, from the mouth of a beauty outsider. We all love an insider but maybe we all need a little cynical perspective now and again!!

Is there anything you've bought based on hype and been disappointed??

Over & Out

Laura


xxx

7 comments:

  1. This was really fun to read! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. @DaisyBee
    Thank you :) I enjoyed doing it, it's something different! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love nars sheer glow and nars blushes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great idea for a post! I really enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant post! My best friend came over last week and played with my make up and I had to wrestle my new Armani foundation out of her hands. She was definitely giving that 5 stars! x

    www.thebeautyhall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Rachel, thank you :) It's refreshing to get a little make up perspective every once in a while! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...